Christmas is an eventful time for both us and our pets, however new visitors, noises and smells can sometimes cause anxiety for your pet. There are also a number of potential Christmas hazards which need to be avoided in order to keep your pet safe.
Keep your pet healthy and happy during the festive season with our Christmas tips:
- Create a calm, quiet spot for your pet so that they are able to get away from the noise if they want to.
- Ensure your pet has fresh water and somewhere cool to rest in the heat of Summer over the Christmas period.
- Exercise your pet before any guests arrive.
- Keep Christmas flowers and plants out of your pet’s reach. Some are toxic to your pets.
- Quickly clean up any bows, plastic, ribbons, or other potential physical hazards so there is no chance of them being swallowed; they may cause choking or an intestinal obstruction
- Many sweet treats and other foods commonly eaten at Christmas time are toxic to pets and can even be fatal.
Make sure to keep the below out of your pet’s reach:
- Christmas pudding,
- Other sugar-free sweet products,
- Fatty foods such as pork and ham can cause pancreatitis
If you want more tips on how to help your pet during the Christmas period, please call us today!